If you have a dental emergency, don’t wait! Call our emergency dentist at (817) 503-8000 right away.
Dental emergencies can strike at any time, causing not only physical discomfort but also considerable anxiety. Whether it’s a sudden toothache, a broken tooth, or a lost filling, these urgent dental issues require prompt and effective care. At Thorne Family Dentistry, your reliable emergency dentist in North Richland Hills and Keller, TX, we understand the urgency and sensitivity of these situations.
Dr. Matt Thorne and his team are equipped to provide immediate, high-quality treatment to alleviate pain and prevent further complications. Recognizing the importance of timely intervention, we strive to offer same-day appointments and advice on managing dental emergencies until you can reach our office. Your dental health and comfort are our top priorities, and we are here to ensure you receive the best possible care in your time of need!
Am I Experiencing A Dental Emergency?
So many patients suffer for days or weeks on end with debilitating pain and discomfort because they think they are overreacting. This is a misconception and we promise it’s always better to call in and check with us than to try to tough it out! Dental emergencies can vary widely, but some of the most common issues we see include:
- Severe Toothache: Often a sign of an underlying problem such as decay or infection.
- Chipped or Broken Teeth: Can occur from an injury or biting down on something hard.
- Knocked-Out Tooth: Requires immediate action for the best chance of saving the tooth.
- Lost Filling or Crown: Can cause discomfort and leave the tooth vulnerable to further damage and infection.
- Abscess or Infection: Characterized by swelling and severe pain, requiring urgent treatment such as drainage, antibiotics, or a root canal.
- Bleeding and Swelling: Often a result of trauma, infection, or complications after a dental procedure.
What to Do When Emergency Strikes
In case of a dental emergency, immediate action can make a significant difference in the outcome. It’s important to know how to respond when something like this occurs so you can stabilize the situation before coming in to see Dr. Thorne. Here’s what to do in various scenarios:
- Severe Toothache: Rinse your mouth with warm water and gently use dental floss to remove any food caught between your teeth. Avoid applying aspirin directly to the tooth or gums but you can take over-the-counter pain relievers while you wait to see us.
- Chipped or Broken Teeth: Save any pieces. Rinse the mouth and any broken pieces with warm water. If there’s bleeding, apply a piece of gauze.
- Knocked-Out Tooth: Handle the tooth by the crown, not the root. Rinse it without scrubbing and try to reinsert it in the socket. If not possible, keep it in a container of milk or saliva.
- Lost Filling or Crown: Keep the crown in a safe place and bring it to your appointment. For a lost filling, stick a piece of sugarless gum into the cavity temporarily.
- Abscess or Infection: Rinse your mouth with mild salt water several times a day to ease the pain and draw the pus to the surface.
Our Dental Emergency Services
At Thorne Family Dentistry, we offer a range of emergency dental services to address various urgent needs:
- Pain Management and Relief: Prompt treatment to alleviate severe toothache and discomfort.
- Repair of Broken or Chipped Teeth: Utilizing the latest techniques to restore the function and appearance of your teeth, often including dental bonding.
- Reattachment of Knocked-Out Teeth: Time-sensitive procedures to save and reattach avulsed teeth.
- Treatment of Dental Abscesses: Draining the infection, prescribing antibiotics, and providing necessary follow-up care. In some cases, this could require root canal therapy.
- Replacement of Lost Fillings or Crowns: Quick restoration to protect the tooth and restore your smile with tooth-colored fillings or ceramic crowns.
What to Bring to Your Emergency Appointment
To expedite your care, bring the following to your emergency dental appointment:
- Any saved pieces of a broken or knocked-out tooth.
- Previous dental records and x-rays, if available.
- List of current medications and any known allergies.
- Insurance information for efficient processing.
- Identification and payment method for a seamless new patient registration.
What to Expect When You Visit Our Emergency Dentist in North Richland Hills
During your emergency appointment, our goal is to keep you calm and bring you prompt relief. Dr. Thorne and his team will:
- Assess Your Dental Emergency: Dr. Thorne will do a thorough examination to determine the extent of your issue. This may require dental x-rays for us to get a full picture of your condition.
- Provide Immediate Care: We get to work right away, addressing pain and preventing further damage.
- Discuss Treatment Options: Once we’ve taken care of the immediate problem, Dr. Thorne may recommend further treatment such as a root canal or restorative work.
- Offer Follow-Up Care Recommendations: We ensure your long-term dental health and comfort by scheduling a check-up a few days or weeks after your emergency visit to check how you’re healing up.
Q: How quickly can I be seen for an emergency?
A: We strive to offer same-day appointments for emergency situations. Please give us a call as soon as possible to explain the situation so we can try to accommodate you.
Q: What if I have an emergency after hours?
A: We provide instructions for after-hours emergencies and take necessary actions as soon as possible. We’ll generally get you in the very next morning but if the issue is severe (like excessive bleeding from trauma), you may need to go into the emergency room.
Q: Does insurance cover emergency dental care?
A: Coverage varies, but we will help you understand your benefits and provide options for those without insurance.
Q: Are emergency procedures painful?
A: We prioritize your comfort and offer various pain management options. Most patients come to us in severe pain so our goal is to in fact alleviate pain, not cause more discomfort!
Get Fast Care From Our Emergency Dentist in North Richland Hills, TX!
If you’re facing a dental emergency, don’t wait to get the help you need. Contact Thorne Family Dentistry, your trusted emergency dentist in North Richland Hills and Keller, TX. Call us now for same-day assistance and expert care. Your dental health can’t wait, and neither should you!